Fourth International Congress
The North of Sefarad: Perspective and Definitions
July 1, 2016
The Center Isaac Campanton and UNED are accepting proposals for the annual international congress. The title of this year’s conference is “The North of Sefarad: Perspectives and Definitions” and will take place in Zamora, Spain, on July 1, 2016.
The goal of this conference is to further explore the history and cultures of the Middle Ages Jewish communities in the north of the Iberian Peninsula. Through interdisciplinary and innovative readings, this event seeks new understandings of the Jewish Sephardic legacy in Spain and Portugal.
The organizing committee suggests the following topics, but will also consider proposals on other issues:
- Jewish historical figures and personalities between the eleventh and the fifteenth centuries and their contributions to Medieval medicine, sciences, politics, literature, and philosophy
- Relations between Spain and Portugal before and after 1492
- Emergence of Jewish Castilian and Lioness identities in the Middle Ages
- Relevant aspects of the coexistence period innorthern Spanish kingdoms
- Role of Jews in local and regional conflicts from the eleventh to the fifteenth centuries
- Life of the Jewish communities in the Duero river basin
Proposals should be 250 words long and include author, title, institution, and a brief abstract. Submissions by independent scholars are also welcome. Presentations should be in Spanish or Portuguese. Deadline is May 30, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Approval or suggestions for proposal revisions will be sent by June 15 informing the conference’s location and the registration procedure.