The Congress of the Mediterranean Studies Association will be held on May 31 – June 3, 2017, at the University of Malta, in Valletta, Malta. We are now accepting proposals for individual paper presentations, panel discussions, and complete sessions on all subjects related to the Mediterranean region and Mediterranean cultures around the world from all historical periods. The official language of the Congress is English, but we also welcome complete sessions in any Mediterranean language.
Following an optional walking tour of Valletta, the Congress will open with a plenary session and reception on the evening of Wednesday, May 31. Over the next three days, 150-200 scholarly papers will be delivered before an international audience of scholars, academics, and experts in a wide range of fields. We are currently planning a number of events for Congress participants that will highlight the unique cultural aspects of Malta.
Guidelines for Submission of Proposals
- You may submit a proposal for an individual paper presentation, a complete session, or a round table panel on any Mediterranean topic and theme. Our sessions are two hours and typical sessions include 4 papers, each lasting twenty minutes, a chair, and optional commentator. (For examples of paper, roundtable panels, and session topics, and the range of subjects, see the programs from previous congresses.) Please note: increased interest in the field of Mediterranean Studies has meant a steady growth of our conference. Given the challenge of finding an ample number of rooms at the conference venue, we strongly encourage submission of 4-paper sessions. If you submit a 3 paper session, the organizers reserve the right to add a fourth paper on a related topic from the general call for papers. If your participants fail to register by the deadline, the organizers will replace them with other papers on a related topic.
- Submit a 150-word abstract in English for each paper, and a one-page CV for each participant, including chairs and commentators, as well as each participant’s name, institution, email, regular address, and phone number. Proposals for complete sessions or roundtables need to include the chair’s name. Only ONE paper proposal per person will be accepted.
- The deadline for submissions is February 1st, 2017.
- If you are giving your paper in a language other than English, please let us know and give us the title of your paper in that language as well as in English.
- The MSA does not allow papers to be read in absentia, except in extraordinary circumstance. PLEASE NOTE: The MSA will hold paper sessions on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Saturday is a full conference day, and you should not plan to travel before Sunday morning unless you are certain that your paper is not on Saturday afternoon. We will still honor special time requests for medical, religious, or other serious reasons IF REQUEST IS MADE BEFORE FEBRUARY 1, 2017, OUR PROPOSAL DEADLINE.
Proposals for papers and/or sessions must be submitted through the MSA website:https://www.mediterraneanstudies.org. If you have questions, contact: email@example.com
Membership and Registration
All accepted participants must be 2017 members of the MSA and must also register for the congress. Early registration will be available until February 1, 2017. Late registration will be available until April 8, 2017. Please be advised that if you have not registered by April 8, 2017, your paper will not be listed in the program.
After the congress, you are encouraged to submit your revised, expanded paper for consideration for publication in the Association’s double-blind, peer-reviewed journal, Mediterranean Studies, published by Penn State University Press.